The preparation for breast augmentation plastic surgery procedure will begin once the surgeon has approved the patient’s candidacy. During the detailed pre-op consultation process, the surgeon will give a few specific instructions that should be followed as a part of preparation for the surgery.
A well-prepared patient will go through the procedure more easily and it will contribute to the overall success of the results. Board certified plastic surgeons at MBody provide breast augmentation to patients in Northern Virginia, Washington DC, Vienna, McLean, Loudoun, Ashburn, Tysons Corner, Reston, Arlington, Chevy Chase, Richmond, Fredricksburg, and surrounding locations.
Tips for Advance Preparation
The patient should consider the following suggestions to prepare for breast augmentation plastic surgery:
- Collect all relevant information regarding medical history, and any current health conditions.
- Make a list of all the medications, including prescription drugs, over the counter medicines such as aspirin and blood thinners, vitamins and herbal supplements that are being used currently.
- Get a baseline mammogram done ahead of time as per the surgeon’s advice, if no recent mammograms are available. A mammogram with specialized views may be required, in addition to routine mammograms.
- Arrange a talk between the surgeon and the personal physician for the adjustment of any prescription meds well in time.
- Stop smoking a few weeks ahead of surgery, strictly as per the surgeon’s recommendation.
- Complete any major or strenuous household chores or any other pressing tasks ahead of time so that the initial recovery period can be entirely stress-free.
- Preferably, arrange someone to assist during the first few days of post-operative phase as well as someone who can drive the patient back home after the surgery and stay overnight for help.
Following the surgeon’s instructions to the letter during the pre- and post-operative phases will significantly benefit the patient. Not adhering to the instructions may increase the risk and create difficulties during the surgery as well as recovery.
Some of the instructions that a plastic surgeon may commonly advise to the patient as a part of preparation for breast augmentation will include:
- Do not use aspirin, ibuprofen and NSAIDs for at least 10 days prior to the procedure.
- Discontinue vitamin E, vitamin C, and any herbal supplements or remedies at least one month before surgery.
- Do not wear makeup, nail polish, contact lenses, or jewelry or body piercings on the day of the surgery.
- Do not wear any hair accessories that may contain metal, such as clips with metal springs.
- Choose comfortable garments and shoes on the day of the surgery. Pants or shorts may be preferable and the top should button or zip in the front in order to avoid having to go over the head.
- Do not consume alcohol for 24 hours prior to surgery.
- Do not eat or drink anything for eight hours prior to surgery.
- Diabetics should discuss their condition on the morning of the surgery.
MBody receives patients from Northern Virginia, Washington DC, Vienna, McLean, Loudoun, Ashburn, Tysons Corner, Reston, Arlington, Chevy Chase, Richmond, Fredricksburg, and nearby areas for breast augmentation.
For more information on the surgical and non-surgical procedures and treatments by Board Certified Cosmetic Plastic Surgeons Dr. Reps Sundin and Dr. Burton Sundin please visit
Serving Northern Virginia, Washington DC, Vienna, McLean, Fairfax, Loudoun County, Ashburn, Tysons Corner, Reston, Arlington, Fredricksburg, Chevy Chase, Potomac, Maryland Richmond, VA and surrounding communities.