Liposuction has continued to rank for the last several years among the top five most popular plastic surgery procedures in the US. Advance preparation for the surgery is a key component of the overall process, and creates the foundation for a successful liposuction procedure. The patient should have a commitment to diligently follow the surgeon’s instructions for preparation.
A well-prepared patient will typically have greater confidence levels, better decision making, and realistic expectations from the liposuction process. This increases their chances of achieving the best possible personal satisfaction from the final outcome.
Board certified plastic surgeons Dr. Burton Sundin and Dr. Reps Sundin provide liposuction to patients in Northern Virginia, Washington DC, Vienna, McLean, Loudoun, Ashburn, Tysons Corner, Reston, Arlington, Chevy Chase, Richmond, Fredricksburg, and surrounding locations.
Before the Surgery
The following tasks should be completed by the patient prior to the date of liposuction plastic surgery in order to be sufficiently prepared for the procedure:
- Arrange for the past medical records from the physician and specialists to be sent to the office of the liposuction surgeon.
- Prepare a list of currently used prescription and non-prescription medications, including blood thinners, NSAIDs, herbal supplements and vitamins to show to the surgeon.
- Get any x-rays or lab tests performed as per the surgeon’s advice.
- Adjust the schedule of current prescription drugs in consultation with the physician, if required.
- Stop smoking for a certain period of time prior to the surgery as per the surgeon’s instructions.
- Complete any urgent tasks at the workplace or home well in advance to ensure a stress-free recovery phase.
- Arrange for transportation to reach home safely after the liposuction surgery.
- If necessary, arrange for aftercare for the first few days of the post-op period.
The best way to ensure a safe liposuction surgery and quicker recovery is to carefully follow the surgeon’s recovery instructions.
A Day before the Surgery
A few basic tips should be followed just a day prior to the liposuction surgery. These will include:
- Take adequate rest and sleep well on the night before the surgery.
- Do not eat or drink anything for about eight hours before the surgery.
- Refrain from consuming alcohol for at least 48 hours prior to the surgery.
- Avoid wearing makeup, jewelry, body piercings, nail paint, or contact lenses on the day of the surgery.
- Wear loose fitting and comfortable garments while going to the surgery center. If the liposuction will be performed in the upper area of the body, wear a top with buttons in the front.
- Diabetic patients should have their vital parameters checked on the morning of the surgery.
It is natural to have some pre-surgery anxiety a day before the surgery. The surgeon may prescribe a calming medication to be taken on the night before the surgery. Experienced plastic surgeons Dr. Burton Sundin and Dr. Reps Sundin receive patients from Northern Virginia, Washington DC, Vienna, McLean, Loudoun, Ashburn, Tysons Corner, Reston, Arlington, Chevy Chase, Richmond, Fredricksburg, and other communities across the horizon for liposuction.
For more information on the surgical and non-surgical procedures and treatments by Board Certified Cosmetic Plastic Surgeons Dr. Reps Sundin and Dr. Burton Sundin please visit
Serving Northern Virginia, Washington DC, Vienna, McLean, Fairfax, Loudoun County, Ashburn, Tysons Corner, Reston, Arlington, Fredricksburg, Chevy Chase, Potomac, Maryland Richmond, VA and surrounding communities.