Several less invasive techniques are now available to perform liposuction plastic surgery, which include tumescent liposuction and laser lipo. But liposuction is still viewed as a major procedure that will involve proper advance preparation in order to achieve safe and predictable results.
Patients who are thoroughly prepared for the surgery will usually be more confident and will be able to go through the surgery and recovery with minimal risk of complications. Board certified plastic surgeons at MBody provide liposuction to patients in Northern Virginia, Washington DC, Vienna, McLean, Loudoun, Ashburn, Tysons Corner, Reston, Arlington, Chevy Chase, Richmond, Fredricksburg, and other cities in this part of the state.
Learn more about our LITTLE liposuction technique:
Guidelines for Preparation
A few basic guidelines for preparation can help the patient to have a smooth and efficient procedure and recovery:
- Arrange for medical records from the doctor, specialist and hospitals to be sent to the surgeon’s office for review.
- Note down a list of all the prescription and non-prescription drugs, including supplements, vitamins and herbal medications, which the patient may be currently taking.
- If the surgeon recommends an altered schedule for certain medications, have the surgeon talk to the physician.
- Refrain from smoking for a certain time period as specified by the surgeon before the procedure.
- Complete any urgent or major household or office assignments prior to the plastic surgery in order to have a stress-free procedure and recovery.
- If required, arrange for a family member, friend or a professional caregiver to assist during the first two to three days following liposuction surgery.
- Arrange for someone to drive the patient back home after the procedure.
If the patient is committed to following the surgeon’s instructions for preparation and recovery, it will mitigate their risk and expedite the recovery.
Some surgeons will provide a printed set of common instructions to the patient as a part of liposuction preparation process. These may include:
- Stop using blood thinners, NSAIDs and any such other medications for about two weeks before liposuction.
- Avoid the use of vitamin C, vitamin E, herbal supplements and dietary pills for three to four weeks prior to the surgery.
- Do not drink alcohol for at least 48 hours before the procedure.
- Do not eat or drink anything for eight hours before the scheduled time of surgery.
- Rest sufficiently and sleep well on the night before the surgery.
- Do not wear makeup, nail paint, contact lenses, jewelry, or body piercings to the surgery center.
- Wear comfortable, loose fitting and front opening clothes on the day of the procedure.
- Diabetics should have their key parameters checked on the morning of the surgery.
Some amount of pre-surgery stress is normal, and the surgeon may prescribe a mild sleep medication to be taken the night before the surgery. Experienced plastic surgeons Dr. Burton Sundin and Dr. Reps Sundin receive patients from Northern Virginia, Washington DC, Vienna, McLean, Loudoun, Ashburn, Tysons Corner, Reston, Arlington, Chevy Chase, Richmond, Fredricksburg, and nearby areas for liposuction surgery and various other procedures.
For more information on the surgical and non-surgical procedures and treatments by Board Certified Cosmetic Plastic Surgeons Dr. Reps Sundin and Dr. Burton Sundin please visit
Serving Northern Virginia, Washington DC, Vienna, McLean, Fairfax, Loudoun County, Ashburn, Tysons Corner, Reston, Arlington, Fredricksburg, Chevy Chase, Potomac, Maryland Richmond, VA and surrounding communities.